KCC FIG – Undergraduate Research as a High Impact Practice
Minutes of the Meeting of Fri, 10/7/2022, 10:15am via Zoom
Mary Theresa Ortiz – Facilitator
Present: Grace Axler-DiPerte (KCC BIO Faculty), Mary Theresa Ortiz (KCC BIO Faculty)
Meeting began at 10:15am.
- Mary welcomed Grace and thanked her for coming.
- Mary shared that her students are doing better with the research project the BIO2100 – Comparative Anatomy class is continuing this semester; that is, identifying and cataloging the birds in the environs of the KCC campus. The students are getting into a routine for collecting data and are taking some really nice photos of the birds. Mary has encouraged her students to enter data into the data table as they collect them to avoid errors and to not be overwhelmed with this task later in the semester.
- Mary shared the SEEK by iNaturalist app that Grace suggested at the last meeting with her Comparative Anatomy class to help them identify birds for their research project. The students have used it on their cell phones and have found it helpful with identifying birds they are not sure of. The app uses your cell phone to take a picture of an organism and then identifies the species. It is easy to use and free to download.
- Grace shared that the Winogradsky project in Microbiology has not had the greatest results over the last several years. Mary and Grace brainstormed ideas for future class research projects. Grace is working on several ideas for her BIO50 – General Microbiology class for the spring 2023 semester. She hopes to have more details to share at the next meeting.
- Mary had several websites with data available for research that she will share at the next meeting.
- Mary will send out a Doodle to set up the next meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 11:00am.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Mary Theresa Ortiz